[X-Unix] External drive volume doesn't automount?

Kevin Stevens groups at pursued-with.net
Sun May 8 11:14:26 PDT 2005

On May 7, 2005, at 18:37, William H. Magill wrote:

>> So, two things:  how do I fix it (perhaps some setting under
>> "mounts" in
>> NetInfo Manager?), and why is it doing this?  I've never used an
>> external
>> drive before, don't know if this is an external drive thing, a Tiger
>> thing, or just an odd thing.
>>

> 2- If you are running OSX Client, then this is expected behavior
> since about 10.2

It's Client.

> To change the default behavior of foreign disks:
>
> For panther it was discussed here:
>
> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031103155828117

I'll check that out, thanks.

> I haven't looked for at the issue under Tiger. Under Tiger, home
> directories on external volumes, i.e. FireWire drives, simply work.
> Implying that the default was again changed, but I have not
> explored why it works. I installed Tiger on an clean internal
> partition and then used the setup assistant to copy stuff over. The
> process very nicely copied my old sym-links for the home
> directories an everything was "just there" as expected.

This partition doesn't contain user home directories.  The external
partition with home directories is "OS X", and it does automount,
though it is also a mirrored partition with the internal drive, which
might cause that independently.  I'll report findings back.

Thanks!

KeS