[X-Unix] /dev basics

Kuestner, Bjoern Bjoern.Kuestner at drkw.com
Sun May 8 23:45:50 PDT 2005

> Why do you think it is so different?

Different devices:

- No hd*, disk0s[1-9] instead, disk0 exists
- tty[p-w]* instead of tty[C,D,X,S,R]*
- bpf, console, cu.modem, fd, fsevents, klog, kmem, mem, vn* exist

But more generally I considered the /dev directory something that's very
close to the kernel. And isn't that where OS X differs a good bit from the
rest?

I just find it awkward to rely on information which might look similar but
actually isn't.

That's okay if I look up a Linux or Solaris description of the bash in the
internet, knowing that OS X's bash might be a slightly different version.
But for something like /dev I was simply very sceptical.

My original post was also broader than just "what is in /dev":

>Would somebody please give an intro to what what can be learnt about the
>system by looking at the /dev directory?

What are the tools for instance to read information from /dev beyond "ls"?
"cat disk0" for instance has some output but not very valuable it seems.
What tools are fit to explore and learn about /dev entries?

I simply could not find any info page about /dev in OS X. I tried Google.
But something like "os x cu.modem fsevents klog kmem" or "os x '/dev'
-developer" is about as explicit as my Google-skills go, and it still
doesn't turn out with anything useful.

Maybe I'm just brain dead at this point and I'm missing the most obvious
search string. That, too, would help. I really don't need a "personal" reply
if the information is already out there on a web page for me to study.

Thanks,

Bjorn

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:

http://www.drkw.com/disc/email/ or contact the sender. 3166