[X-Unix] Beginner Questions: Setting up access to localhost for testing only.

dm87 at proparallax.com dm87 at proparallax.com
Thu May 12 12:07:38 PDT 2005

What I want to do: I want to test php modules on my iBook, before
implementing them on my rented web server.  I am just learning the
unix/apache/mysql/php end of things.

Tools that I use:
text editor: TextWrangler
WSYWIG web editor: Dreamweaver MX
OS: Panther 10.3.9 (original versions of apache, mysql and php)

My Questions:

1)  I originally setup phpMyAdmin in Library/WebServer, would it be
better to install all this stuff in ~username/Sites/?

2)  Is there a recommended resource that would help guide me through
basic security issues involved in administering a server on my iBook?

3)  Is there a tutorial on how to create an .htaccess file on panther?

4)  Is it a good idea to use http://www.apache.org/ as a resource for
information while working on the mac?

Thanks
Donna dm87