[X-Unix] Tiger X11.app and xforwarding in ssh

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sat May 14 07:50:45 PDT 2005

Sometime in May Stroller assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Followed your instructions here & ssh'd into a Linux box in
| Terminal.app.
|
| Last login: Sat May 14 04:36:00 on ttyp2
| Welcome to Darwin!
| 901 ~ $ ssh 192.168.1.104 -X
| Linux alsoavailablein 2.6.10-5-386 #1 Tue Apr 5 12:12:40 UTC 2005 i686
| GNU/Linux
| No mail.
| Last login: Sat May 14 04:36:09 2005 from funf.stroller.uk.eu.org
| stroller at alsoavailablein:~$ sudo
| ./rt2500-cvs-20050510/Utilitys/RaConfig2500
| RaConfig2500: cannot connect to X server
| stroller at alsoavailablein:~$
|
| It works perfectly from Xterm on my Mac.
|
| *confusled*

Check the DISPLAY environment variable for xterm and Terminal.app. For me
the default for xterm is ':0.0' while this environment variable is not set
by default in Terminal.app. So, when I ssh to a computer from xterm,
everything forwards appropriately. However, things only forward properly
for me in terminal.app if I manally set the DISPLAY to ':0.0'. I just
edited my ~/.bash_profile to make sure this variable is set whenever I
launch termina.app.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB