[X-Unix] path for terminal.app and x11

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Mon May 16 08:56:12 PDT 2005

At 09:15 -0400 5/16/05, John Harrold wrote:
>Now this is mighty interesting. Since I don't seem to have this directory,
>I assume that it isn't created when a user account is created.

Nope. It's not needed by the entertainment industry. Use mkdir to create it.

> You
>mentioned the environment.plist file, but I would assume there are other
>files which are commonly found in the ~/.MacOSX directory.

None, zip, nada. But I have put some of my own stuff there.

> I know that
>OS X is based on bsd so this might be a System V question since I'm more
>familiar with Linux: Is there a skeleton directory similar to /etc/skel
>for the ~/.MacOSX directory that contians files commonly used?

Helpful. I'll look up that path on my Linux box.

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPRuntimeConfig/Concepts/EnvironmentVars.html>
<http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html>

It's probably easier to edit the plist file with a text editor than with the recommended plist editor. There is nothing binary in it.

--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, but not thoroughly, thought through.