[x-unix]from tcsh to bash

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue May 17 08:44:01 PDT 2005

Sometime in May ~flipper assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I can make the same noise on a Mac.

I hear the g5 towers are pretty loud ;)

| Seriously, I didn't mean to imply that the writer should 'take
| whatever was dished out', just that it doesn't hurt to actually get
| in and learn one of the shells first. I see a lot of osts in various
| places where guys want to debate the most arcane features of various
| shells, and in the end they use none of those specific features,
| anyway. (The ones 'asking', the ones 'advocating' are all correct in
| terms of their own requirements, obviously.)

Oh, I understand. I just don't want to discourage anyone from trying new
things solely because they are comfortable with their current solution.
However, it is a balance. If the costs of trying out alternatives are low,
then I encourage people to try new things. I guess I think stagnation (see
windows) is worse than wasted time.

| I like the tcsh and I like Eudora. heheh, why? Because I use them.
| How's that for 'science'? But I won't recommend either on principle*.
| Why? because the fact they work perfectly for me is no guarantee of
| anything for someone else.

I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you about all the features mutt
has too offer...

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB