[X-Unix] 10.4: manpath seems not to be working properly

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue May 17 12:16:04 PDT 2005

On 05/17/05, Jason Verlander <gurple at mac.com> wrote:

> After _upgrading_ to 10.4 I've found that manpath is not analyzing
> and finding man pages for items that have been placed into /usr/local/
> bin with the man pages being put into /usr/local/man. I have /usr/
> local/bin in my path and manpath should automatically add /usr/local/
> man to my search path it seems. At least, that's the way the manpath
> man page seems to indicates.
>
> Anyone seen this or have any thoughts on how I might resolve it?

Modify the existing ~/.profile file or create one, if it isn't there.
Here's mine:

##
# DELUXE-USR-LOCAL-BIN-INSERT
# (do not remove this comment)
##
echo $PATH | grep -q -s "/usr/local/bin"
if [ $? -eq 1 ] ; then
    PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/Developer/Tools
    export PATH
fi
export MANPATH="/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/X11R6/man"

You can always add /usr/local/man: to the MANPATH line. BTW, why do you
want it included? On my system there are two empty files in
/usr/local/man/: whatis and whatis.db. The ones with content are in
/usr/local/share/man/.