[X-Unix]from tcsh to bash

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Wed May 18 16:21:55 PDT 2005

Dan Frakes wrote:

>~flipper <lord.flipper at gmail.com> wrote
>
>>even the Spotlight can't 'find' your /usr/bin directory.
>
>You can easily tell Spotlight to include /usr/bin in searches if you prefer
>such a configuration. But more importantly, why would the average user (not
>a power user, but an average user) *want* the contents of /user/bin -- or
>any other folder containing Unix executables or OS files -- to be included
>in Spotlight searches? There are over 700 files in /usr/bin alone, few of
>which most Mac users will ever care about and most of which contain a good
>number of basic words that would likely get picked up by Spotlight searches.
>For example, if Spotlight were to include /usr/bin by default, a user who
>searches for "copyright" would end up with literally hundreds of unwanted
>matches, making the results list pretty unmanageable.

All right, you're on, so let's assume nobody wants to learn anything,
and let's say I used /usr/bin as an example, but I'd really like to
track down all my java .jar stuff, and try to cobble together a new
xml parser without having redundant bs all over the underbelly of the
Mac, ok?

So, what's the trivial method of adding the subsytem to Spotlight?

Just kidding I can find anything on here in nanoseconds with Xfile,
so big deal, but why the 'conspiracy' to keep the real system out of
sight?

And since you seem to have logical insight on your side of the fence,
what exactly is the rationale for hiding mach-o executables but
giving mr & mrs. average user access to little things like
/System/Library/Frameworks, again, exactly?

Thanks :)

brian s