[X-Unix] How to monitor inbound/outbound network traffic?

cheryl schneider cheryl at themacworks.com
Fri May 20 10:03:55 PDT 2005

On May 20, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Brent Baisley wrote:

> Yo can try using tcpdump in your terminal. It's more of a technical
> tool, but at the very least you can find out what ip address you
> are talking to.
>
> sudo tcpdump

Read the man pages on tcpdump for additional syntax.

to capture packets on en1 to/from a given host:

sudo tcpdump -i en1 host <host name>

if you want to narrow it down to packets being received on a given port:

sudo tcpdump -i en1 dst port <port number>

Also take a look at Ethereal, an open source packet sniffer that'll
filter the information in a more human-readable format. It runs in an
X Windows environment, including X11.

Cheryl Schneider, ACSA
cheryl at themacworks.com