[X-Unix] Disable user accounts?

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sat May 21 08:20:14 PDT 2005

Hello list.

I was curious about disabling user accounts.  On every other *nix
system I administer, I use pw to set the lock attribute, or on
systems without pw, I add a * to the user password field.  Obviously,
vipw doesn't really apply to Mac OS X, as user accounts aren't kept
in the /etc/master.passwd file.

For the record, I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.1. (Just upgraded from
10.3.9 last night).

Thanks!