[X-Unix] Spotlight (was: from tcsh to bash)

Dan Frakes lists at frakes.org
Tue May 24 01:18:51 PDT 2005

John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:
> BTW, you continually state that "You can easily tell Spotlight to include
> /usr/bin in searches if you prefer such a configuration." Really? How? Not
> in the PrefPane and nowhere in Spotlight's Help.

I provided the instructions last week:

If you want to include a folder such as /usr/bin in a "Finder window" search
(i.e., what has replaced the Find dialog in Tiger), you just use the
"Others" button and add the desired directory (e.g., /usr/bin) to the list
of places to search.

If what you really want to do is add /usr/bin to the menu bar Spotlight
search:

mdimport -f /usr/bin

That forces Spotlight to index the given directory.

Or, for more options, see this page at MacOSXHints:

<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2005050222125145>

>> You're advocating throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I would argue
>> that the solution here isn't to get rid of live indexing; it's to improve
>> live indexing.
>
> How do you arrive at that conclusion? I didn't advocate deleting the
> capability. See my last comment.

You stated, "When the user decides to do a content search, then, and only
then, should Spotlight update that index-otherwise Spotlight can continue to
update everything, except content, as it currently does." That sounds like
you're advocating doing away with live indexing of content. And without live
indexing of content, Spotlight becomes much, much less useful.