[X-Unix] Updates & login weirdness

Ethan Rips rips.ej at dreyfus.com
Sat May 28 11:46:21 PDT 2005

Hello, everyone--

I recently installed a bunch of software updates on my B&W G3/350MHz running
OS X 10.2.8, including OS X 10.3.9 & several security patches. On reboot,
the system hung on login processes, as an obvious result of which, I can't
log into my machine. I've been bequeathed my "new" old G4 from work (which
is why I'm in the office writing this e-mail on a Saturday), & I want to
retrieve data from the old old box to transfer to the new old box.

I logged in using single user mode & turned off the machine using shutdown.
However, I don't know enough command line stuff, nor do I know OS X's
architecture well enough to know how to find & clean up whatever's scrambled
in my startup login setup. Can anyone tell me what I should check, where &
by which commands?

Thanks in advance.

Ethan

If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.(16b)