[X-Unix] how to send mail from commandline?

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalaciosp at eml.cc
Thu Nov 10 17:11:30 PST 2005

On Nov 10, 2005, at 6:40 PM, Warren Pollans wrote:

> thanks,  all of the various suggestions are fine and work IF postfix
> is properly configured.
>
> My problem was that the postfix configuration was hosed - I don't how
> it got that way.
>
> Once I fixed the postfix config, my original method worked fine

	You could always install pine, mutt or any other CLI mail client that
can be configured to use whatever mail server you tell it to in its
conf files, whether it be smtp for sending or pop/imap for receiving.
But yes, to use simple mail(1) or the postfix sendmail replacement to
send mail from the command line you'll always need your local smtp up
and running. And don't worry about batch processing if you're concerned
about taking the output of some command and piping it to pine, mutt or
any other, all of them support command line flags to pre-specify
remittent, recipient, reply to address, subject line, whatever, and
reading message data from standard input.

	Regards,...

		Juan