[X-Unix] [OT] A little shell scripting help

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Tue Oct 4 15:07:30 PDT 2005

On Oct 4, 2005, at 8:59 AM, Doug McNutt wrote:

>> At 02:35 -0700 10/4/05, Philip J Robar wrote:
>>
>> You should read <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-
>> whynot/>  if you haven't already.
>
> Been there and done that. It still makes no mention of the Debian
> tcsh. And no shell wars please. Susan Anthony's God wants me to use
> tcsh, but thank God others can, even in AppleScript, use what they
> like.

Debian's tcsh is just tcsh, not a special version. tcsh is just csh
with improved interactive features. It's programming environment
still has the flaws mentioned in the paper above. Use whatever shell
you like for interactive use and personal projects, but sh/bash/ksh
are more appropriate for use in a professional environment. (Of
course Python or Ruby would be an even better choice.)

Phil
--
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding
of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they