[X-Unix] SSH Tunnels and Network name problems

Paul pwblackb at uc.cl
Thu Oct 20 20:21:57 PDT 2005

Hi everyone.

I have an issue with an SSH tunnel I am trying to set up with another
computer, but before I post about that issue, I'd like to see if I
can resolve a related one first, just in case it is causing the first
one. Apologies if it is not strictly X-Unix subject matter, but I've
had no luck on the X-Users list.

First, on my iBook I have two network Locations set up: one is a
location where my iBook has a fixed IP and DNS name assigned and is
used on a large LAN at university, and the other location is at home,
where it's IP is also fixed but in the 192.168.x.x range. My main
computer acts as a gateway and thus shares the broadband connection
between it and my iBook.

The problem is that if I set the computer's name in the Sharing
preferenes pane to kasumi.local, as I want it, while on the
University network location, and then come home and swap it to the
Gateway network location, I am told that there is already a
kasumi.local on the network and thus the name will be changed to
kasumi-2. Any idea why this happens and how to avoid it? Changing it
back while on the Gateway location does not work, and I can only do
this while on the University network location (in other words, not
physically connected to my home network).

Thanks in advance.

Paul