[X-Unix] script generating iCal events?

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Thu Sep 1 09:51:50 PDT 2005

Timothy Luoma wrote on Thursday, September 1, 2005:

>Does anyone have experience generating iCal events from scripts?
>(i.e. I have a bunch of data to add to iCal, but I'd like to script
>it rather than entering it all manually)

Depending on the source, purpose, frequency of updates, and so on you might another alternative.

You could just produce an .ics file. This is just a vCard style text file. These can be imported into iCal, or if you have a web server you can upload the .ics file and simply subscribe iCal to that file.

There are lots of services out there that generate .ics files dynamically, so I assume that there's some basic documentation somewhere on how to format one.

--
James Bucanek