[X-Unix] Recursive one-line chmod

Phillip Burk philburk at mac.com
Wed Sep 21 09:09:12 PDT 2005

Alright, I'm trying to use ARD to issue a one-line command that will
step through all the directories in /Users and assign recursive
proper ownership.  I don't care if it errors on the Shared folder, I
have a login hook to blast that to 777.  I have no clue as to the
proper syntax of the thing although if I were using a script to do
this I imagine it would use a foreach command to parse the usernames
from the individual directories themselves and then assign ownership
based on that username.

Kinda like this:

Foreach directory in /Users
     assign name to $username
     if $username=="Shared" then next
     endif
     chown -R $username:admin /Users/$username

or something like that.  I'm not a programmer, heck, I'm not even a
shell-scripter.  I just need a little push with the syntax.  If I
have to push and run a script remotely to do this I'll do that.

Thanks.