[X-Unix] Parsing or splitting a text file

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Wed Sep 28 13:07:29 PDT 2005

At 15:16 -0400 9/28/05, Richard Nagle wrote:
>What would be the fastest way,
>of splitting a large text document into separate doc,
>via a common identifier "From ???@???"
>
>This From ???@???, is at the top of every email document,
>inside this large single text file.
>this file contains about 15,000 emails.

That sounds like a job for perl.

I was fussing with mailboxes produced by Eudora that look a lot like that. (This list for instance.) I was collecting and sorting by Subject: line to make one file file for each subject. It's been a while since I looked at it.  When I realized I needed to handle "Antwort", "AW", and others I got discouraged.  Ask off line if you'd like a copy of my last known perl script.

--
-->The Creator is the God who provided the void and the rules that matter and energy must live by in order to exist in it. Intelligent designers and engineers create useful stuff while abiding by the rules.<--