[X-Unix] Utility "ln" makes a copy instead of hard link?

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Fri Apr 7 13:56:46 PDT 2006

It's curious but bash and sh, and also tcsh and csh, are usually hard links to single files that behave a bit differently depending on their names.

In OS neXt that's not true. The files are copies and I'm pretty sure there are other examples.

I have been told that the reason is that Apple's hack to the HFS+ file system to make hard links work is so slow that Apple uses copies for speed.

Is it conceivable that that "feature" has anything to do with this thread? The way TextEdit behaves, perhaps. I really don't think Apple has mucked with the ln tool but. . .

--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, but not thoroughly, thought through.