[X-Unix] Multiple daily run output emails

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Mon Apr 10 21:07:02 PDT 2006

On Apr 10, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Wing Wong wrote:

> On 4/10/06, Charles Howse <chowse at charter.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I configured /etc/defaults/periodic.conf to email the outputs of the
>> periodic stuff to me.
>> The only changes I made were to add my user name to the daily_output
>> variables.
>>
>> Sometimes, but not always, I get 2 daily run outputs!
>> I keep msgs for a month only, and on 4/6, 4/7, and today, I got 2
>> msgs.
>
> What configuration lines/entries are you putting in periodic.conf?

[charles at larry:~]$ cat /etc/defaults/periodic.conf
#!/bin/sh
#
# This is defaults/periodic.conf - a file full of useful variables that
# you can set to change the default behaviour of periodic jobs on your
# system.  You should not edit this file!  Put any overrides into one
of the
# $periodic_conf_files instead and you will be able to update these
defaults
# later without spamming your local configuration information.
#
# The $periodic_conf_files files should only contain values which
override
# values set in this file.  This eases the upgrade path when defaults
# are changed and new features are added.
#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/defaults/periodic.conf,v 1.7.2.8 2001/07/28
11:44:22 brian Exp $
#

# What files override these defaults ?
periodic_conf_files="/etc/periodic.conf /etc/periodic.conf.local"

# periodic script dirs
local_periodic="/usr/local/etc/periodic"

# Daily options

# These options are used by periodic(8) itself to determine what to do
# with the output of the sub-programs that are run, and where to send
# that output.
#
daily_output=charles                    # user or /file
daily_show_success="YES"                                # scripts
returning 0
daily_show_info="YES"                                   # scripts
returning 1
daily_show_badconfig="NO"                               # scripts
returning 2

# Weekly options

# These options are used by periodic(8) itself to determine what to do
# with the output of the sub-programs that are run, and where to send
# that output.
#
weekly_output=charles                   # user or /file
weekly_show_success="YES"                               # scripts
returning 0
weekly_show_info="YES"                                  # scripts
returning 1
weekly_show_badconfig="NO"                              # scripts
returning 2

# Monthly options

# These options are used by periodic(8) itself to determine what to do
# with the output of the sub-programs that are run, and where to send
# that output.
#
monthly_output=charles                  # user or /file
monthly_show_success="YES"                              # scripts
returning 0
monthly_show_info="YES"                                 # scripts
returning 1
monthly_show_badconfig="NO"                             # scripts
returning 2

# 100.clean-logs
daily_clean_logs_enable="YES"                           # Delete
stuff daily
daily_clean_logs_dirs="/Library/Logs/CrashReporter"     # Delete
under here
daily_clean_logs_days="60"                              # If not
accessed for
daily_clean_logs_ignore=""                              # Don't
delete these
daily_clean_logs_verbose="NO"                           # Mention
files deleted

# Define source_periodic_confs, the mechanism used by /etc/periodic/*/*
# scripts to source defaults/periodic.conf overrides safely.

if [ -z "${source_periodic_confs_defined}" ]; then
         source_periodic_confs_defined=yes
         source_periodic_confs () {
                 local i sourced_files

                 for i in ${periodic_conf_files}; do