[X-Unix] Can you get the path from an inode?

Craig A. Finseth fin at finseth.com
Fri Apr 28 06:07:04 PDT 2006

   I have an application which tells me only the inode number of a file it is
   having problems with.  Is there any way to get the path and filename from
   the inode number?

You can get _a_ path (there may be many), but it is work.

- Start at the root of the volume.
- Loop through all entries in the directory
	- See if you found your inode.
	- If it's a directory, recurse on it

Note that the same inode may appear in multiple directories (assuming
that its the inode of a file rather than directory).

Also, with soft links, there may be many ways of entering any given
path.

Craig