[X-Unix] Bash scripting Question

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Aug 22 19:10:02 PDT 2006

On 22 Aug 2006, at 17:11, Russell McGaha wrote:
> 	I've got a situation where I running a script and need to wait
> till the output of a command is null:
>
> ex.
> 	NotNull = true
> 	While NotNull
> do
> 	fmsadmin status Clients   #[returns a list of connected clients;
> I'd like to got thru
> 							  this loop until either the output of the command is null or
> 							  About 2-5 minutes have gone by]#
> done
>
> Can anyone give ANY pointers or examples on how to do this?

Hi there,

There are potentially a bunch of ways of doing this.

Do you have a manpage or other docs for the `fmsadmin` command,
please? I think it is part of filemaker pro?
Alternatively some examples of what "null" and "notNull" outputs
might typically look like.

The following example out to get you started:

   $ ls
   $ foo=`ls` ; if [[ "$foo" = "" ]] ; then echo "There are no files
in this directory" ; else echo "These files are in this directory:
$foo" ; fi
   There are no files in this directory
   $ > bar
    $ ls
   bar
   $ foo=`ls` ; if [[ "$foo" = "" ]] ; then echo "There are no files
in this directory" ; else echo "These files are in this directory:
$foo" ; fi
   These files are in this directory: bar
   $

Stroller.