[X-Unix] Expanding a Mounted Sparse Image while Copying

Rick Gordon rick at rickgordon.com
Thu Dec 21 20:51:54 PST 2006

How do you copy to a sparse image so that the image will be expanded as required?

I tried creating a small sparse image using Disk Utility, mounting it, and then running a shell script that successively makes directories on the mounted image, and then copying data to it.

#! /bin/sh
cd /Applications
mkdir /Volumes/PSCS3_Installation/Applications
sudo cp -R -pv <file_1> ... <file_n> /Volumes/PSCS3_Installation/Applications/
cd /Applications/Utilities
mkdir /Volumes/PSCS3_Installation/Applications/Utilities
sudo cp -R -pv <file_1> ... <file_n> /Volumes/PSCS3_Installation/Applications/Utilities/

But I soon get a "No space left on device" error. What should I be doing to avoid this?

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING