[X-Unix] Rotating the console logs?

Jeff Porten civitan at jeffporten.com
Wed Feb 22 23:14:29 PST 2006

Client just asked me how to set up his Panther system so that his /
Library/Logs folder is rotated daily -- as it stands, these files can
grow quite large.

I noted that my Tiger box already does this, but I don't know where
to go to add a config line for Panther.  Doable?  Alternately, if
there's a manual command that will clear or compress the logs without
munging up the console, that'll work too -- I ran a test on my
Panther box, but couldn't tell if gzipping the main file caused
ConsoleMessage to create a new file next time it logs something.

Thanks,
Jeff