[X-Unix] routing

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 8 22:35:16 PST 2006

>From: Stroller <macmonster at myrealbox.com>
>On 29 Dec 2005, at 23:19, John Harrold wrote:
>>  I've recently moved to Samoa as a peace corps volunteer to teach.
>>  I've run into
>>  what I belive is a routing issue. I'm getting internet access from the
>>  university where I'm working, and I'd like to connect to a computer
>>  in my
>>  research group from grad school....
>
>IP addresses beginning with a 10. are reserved for private subnets...
>so your traceroutes showing five hops within a 10.0.0.0/8 subnet
>indicate that it's really big &/or complicated and that your packets
>aren't leaving the private network for an unusually high number of hops.
>
>Stroller.

Try setting your default router to something further down the chain.
Has to be something on the same physical subnet though. Trial and
error is probably the only way without help from those in charge.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk