[X-Unix] ps oddity

Adrian Simmons adrinux at perlucida.com
Sun Jul 2 08:45:45 PDT 2006

Ethan Rips wrote:
> lp         374   0.0  0.2    50240   1624  ??  S     8:38AM   0:00.20
> HP_LaserJet_1200 1359 scripter
> Recipe: Thai Steak With Coriander Pesto - New York Times - Mozilla 1
<snip>
> I noticed a binary called lp in usr/bin, but I can’t find a file named
> “Thai Steak With Coriander Pesto” anywhere on my hard drive.
Because that's all on one line - try making your terminal window wider when
you run that command. All of that HP stuff refers to the lp process. Looks
like a recipe being printed from a browser window.

> So the obvious question is, Where is this coming from & what do I have
> to do to get rid of it?
It's a print job. Wait for printing to finish or look at the print queue and
remove any stopped jobs.

> Another weird question: When trying to run sudo, I’m prompted for a
> password. Evidently, I’ve forgotten whatever password I used to use for
> sudo.
You use your own account's password.

--
Adrian Simmons (aka adrinux) <http://adrinux.perlucida.com>