[X-Unix] Running fsck on a target disk

John Johnson johnatl at mac.com
Mon Jul 24 14:09:38 PDT 2006

Probably nothing happened because the drive was mounted. You will have
to un-mount (or eject)
the drive before running fsck on it. You will also need to find out it's
device entry before un-mounting it.

With the drive available in target mode, at the command line, type

mount

and see which device is mounted, it will probably look something like

/dev/disk2s3 on /Volumes/Mac_Backup (local, nodev, nosuid, journaled)

Either eject the disk from the desktop, or un-mount it (note the spelling):
umount /dev/disk2s3

Now you can fsck the device:

fsck_hfs  /dev/disk2s3

I have used the above on normal FireWire drives, but not a computer
running in target mode. My
understanding is it is just emulating a FireWire drive, so the above
should work.

Regards,
  JJ