[X-Unix] How to determine which network component is failing

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jul 27 05:19:39 PDT 2006

Well, in my case the whole point is for the little old lady in
question to be able to simply reboot the router when her internet
connection is playing up. She lives in the "granny annex" of the
house, the router is upstairs on the other side of the main house,
and she doesn't like having to bother her daughter & son-in-law to
physically power-cycle the router.

She's on Windows XP, so I want to install as few extra packages as
possible on her machine (because every package is additional
maintenance & I have to remember it when I finally need to reinstall
her PC) and DOS batch-file scripting is quite inferior to Bash. What
I want to be able to say is "if it's not working, try rebooting the
router and if it's still not working 5 minutes later then give me a
call; I'd prefer to be able to give her an icon to click on (which
calls curl with appropriate parameters), rather than a link to the
router's webpage, as the latter requires her to remember the password
(it's just less tidy that way).

I believe the problem at this site to be with the line (maybe it's
marginal??) because this is her 3rd router (have tried a different
manufacturer & model) and we've experienced the same thing with all
of them - the line drops and rebooting the router one or a number of
times usually resolves the problem. I guess the long-term fix is to
contact or change the ISP (I don't have much faith in Wannadoo, but
they'll probably prefer to keep their email address) when the family
get back from holiday next week, but an icon to click on to reboot
the Netgear routers I sell would still be very useful.

Stroller.