[X-Unix] New Mini / Old Mini -- As a server

Tom Shaw tshaw at oitc.com
Wed Mar 1 12:41:00 PST 2006

At 2:05 PM -0600 3/1/06, Dave Higgins wrote:
>So  everyone is poo-pooing about the integrated graphics on the new
>Mini, but that shouldn't really come into play when used as a
>low-volume server (in my case, about 20 rarely hit sites and about
>30 email accounts), other than encroaching a bit on the memory,
>which added RAM could overcome.
>
>Any thoughts on what the differences might be with the Core Solo or
>Duo (vs. PPC) when it comes to underlying UNIX operations, like
>Apache, PostFix, FTP, and shell or perl scripts? And would there
>even be much advantage to using the Duo over the Solo for UNIX
>chores?
>
>I'm wondering if anyone has run any comparison tests with an iMac or
>MacBook Pro so far as it relates to the server / UNIX aspects.
>
>Or would we do just as well to simply grab one of the PPC Minis that
>will soon be showing up on E-Bay and save a couple / few hundred?

All I can say is I am using a PPC mini processing a lot of mail,
Apache with PHP and Hastymail, snort, AFP, ARD, FTP and some other
processing with no problem. I reco at least 512 MB.

Also I reco swapping out the internal laptop drive (rated for non
continuous use) and replacing it with a heavy duty Hatachi dive. You
can then put the laptop drive in a Firewire case and use it for psync
backups.

Tom