[X-Unix] strange tar behavior

Cloyce D. Spradling cloyce+xunix at headgear.org
Mon Mar 20 09:31:24 PST 2006

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 11:14:29AM -0600, Charles Howse wrote:

: But, when I do
: $ tar --list --verbose --file=bin.tgz
: tar: This does not look like a tar archive
: tar: Skipping to next header
: tar: Read 2804 bytes from bin.tgz
: tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

: However, I can use Finder to expand the tgz file, and it looks fine.

: Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

In the command above, you asked tar to list the contents of a tar file, but
you gave it the name of a tar file that has been gzipped.  I think you'll
have better luck if you also use '--uncompress'.

--
Cloyce