[X-Unix] text file parsing?

Kuestner, Bjoern Bjoern.Kuestner at drkw.com
Wed May 3 08:19:28 PDT 2006

Use the "strings" command in your script to remove binary data.

Use "tail" and "head" commands to work trim from or to the end or beginning.

If it is indeed UTF-8 (or any other encoding) use textutil to change the
encoding (or even the format) as you like. (Only available on OS X, so this
would make your script non-portable to other Unixish OSes.

Use sed or awk for other text manipulations. Just get back to this list with
specific questions, because sed and even more so awk can be tricky. Of
course you can also ask about the other commands if the man pages don't help
you much (which I sometimes find the case for me.)

Björn