[X-Unix] Forcing Mail.app to use a proxy

John Harrold john.m.harrold at gmail.com
Sat May 6 16:07:49 PDT 2006

Hello,

I'm a Peace Corps volunteer in the lovely country of Samoa. I get internet
access from the University I work at. All of our traffic passes through at
least two different firewalls which filter traffic. One of those blocks pop
requests. My solution is to setup a socks 5 proxy through an ssh
connection. This works out really well because I use fetchmail to download
my email and mutt to read it. Here is my delima, or rather my roommates. He
just got a new Macbook and he would like to check his email. Where I come
from a Linux background, he comes from the other end of the spectrum. My
first thought was to configure the proxy settings in the Network section of
System Preferences. However it appears that Mail.app doesn't respect these
settings. The way I see it, I have a couple options:

1. Try to find a decent gui program which respects these settings.

2. Try to get Mail.app to use the proxy

3. Setup fetchmail, and have it deliver mail in a way that Mail.app
   or some other gui program will read.

Have I missed any useful options?

I've looked into option 1 above, but I haven't found one yet. Does anyone
know of such a client? Now for option two, which would be relevant to this
list, I was wondering if there was any wrapper programs I could run
Mail.app from within that would redirect the traffic for me?  Any thoughts
would be most appreciative.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 john.m.harrold _at_ gmail  |  X  against HTML mail