[X-Unix] Re: [PB] Compiling on MacOS X (source was written for winblow...) [moved from PB]

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 21:19:54 PST 2006

On Nov 25, 2006, at 6:48 PM, Eric F Crist wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2006, at 3:25 PM, Philip J Robar wrote:
>
>> On Nov 25, 2006, at 1:09 PM, Eric F Crist wrote:
>>
>>> Please help me understand the following output:
>>>
>>> root# gcc *.c -o test
>>> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
>>> How do I fix this?
>>
>> .. if this is an Open Source program,
>>
>> It's not an open-source project as we would know it. It's actually
>> a world of warcraft mod that requires and .exe to parse some log
>> files. It's written in C, and I've moved the mysql sources/includes
>> into a location that my compiler can find, I think. It looks to me
>> like most things are working, should I install mysql on my laptop?

So, as I said, you're missing a MySQL library. Libraries are binaries
- just having the source and headers isn't enough. Not only that, but
you need to have MySQL itself installed as the missing library is just
a door to MySQL's functionality.

Getting everything in place would get us even more off topic for this
list then we already are so my short suggestion is to get the MySQL
installer from the MySQL folks and see if that fixes the problem. If
not, I notice that you work at a high tech. company, someone there
ought to be able to help you with this. Otherwise send me email
directly and I'll help as best I can.

Phil