[X-Unix] setting up aliases in bash / Tiger

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Sep 27 17:51:20 PDT 2006

On 09/27/06, Stroller <macmonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2006, at 18:40, ..lj wrote:
>> On Sep 27, 2006, at 10:18, David Gilden wrote:
>>>
>>> Could someone point to me tutorial that would show me what files
>>> in Tiger. I can edit in Terminal so that I can set up some basic aliases...?
>>
>> try editing
>> ~/.profile
>
> Why .profile & why not .bash_profile? There must be a difference
> between them - anyone got any ideas what?

I'm not an Unix guru, but I tried the ~/.profile route and a recent update
(security or app one) broke it, especially the path variables. I then tried the
~.bash_profile route and everything works properly. Mine looks like this:

$ cat .bash_profile
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/Developer/Tools
export MANPATH="/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/X11R6/man"
alias laud="df -h; ls -Alh /var/audit/"  (displays CommonCriteria logs)