[X-Unix] Permissions Nightmare

Ethan Rips rips.ej at dreyfus.com
Fri Aug 10 06:50:35 PDT 2007

Hello, Unix gurus--

A consultant installed OS X 10.4.9 on my G5 as a straight upgrade, not as an
archive-&-install. Ever since, I've been unable to print from any app
without immediately crashing that app.

I upgraded CUPS in hopes of dealing with the mess, but that didn't solve the
problem, either. When I first upgraded CUPS, I was able to print from some
apps (didn't try all of them), but the next day, the system reverted to its
previous misbehavior.

Recently I was informed that there are font problems with 10.4.9 & was
advised to upgrade to 10.4.10, which I did the other day. Quark now works.
However, I still cannot print from any app without crashing the app in
question. When I try to connect to a printer via Printer Setup Utility, I
get a prompt saying I can't connect due to server-error-server (or some such
thing) or (today) I can't open Printer Setup Utility because "an unexpected
error occurred (-10810)".

In addition, I now get a prompt when I try to empty the trash that I don't
have sufficient privileges to perform that action.

I can do some basic stuff on the command line, although I'm certainly no
guru. Can anyone give me any tips on this at all? I'm really at a loss as to
what to do about this mess.

Thanks.

Ethan

If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.(16b)

Disclaimer Version MB.US.1