[X-Unix] Console in a Subshell?

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Fri Aug 17 06:29:32 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 09:08:49PM CDT, Eric F Crist <ecrist at secure-computing.net> wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2007, at 6:24 PMAug 16, 2007, Jerry Krinock wrote:
>>
>> On 2007 Aug, 16, at 15:32, Brian Medley wrote:
>>
>>> You're capturing output.  If youw ant the return value do
>>> something like:
>>>
>>>     perlscript.pl arg1 arg2
>>>     echo $?
>>
>> Thank you, Brian.  Makes sense and works.  I didn't know that bash had
>> handy built-in variables like perl does.  It's kind of hard to Google for
>> documenation on "?", but apparently "?" is in bash like "_" is in perl.
>> Very handy.
>
> AFAIK, that's pretty standard among almost all shells and scripting
> languages.

Also, I did a Google search on "bash return value".  The first hit,
"BASH Programming - Introduction HOW-TO: Misc", had this to say:

	In bash, the return value of a program is stored in a special
	variable called $?. This illustrates how to capture the return
	value of a program, ...

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/