[X-Unix] !@#$@!#$%$% X11 (in Leopard of course)!

Rodney D. Myers rdmyers at anzavalley.net
Mon Dec 17 08:37:58 PST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 8:31 AM, Mac Daddy wrote:

> I've been liking Leopard at the gui level very much! But the changes
> they made affecting my command line use are real P.I.A.s!!!
>
> At home I did an upgrade install of 10.5 over 10.4 and X11(and
> everything else) works perfectly! I do an 'ssh -Y <hostname>' into
> any one of my linux machines and launch an X app and it just comes
> up. Very nice (though the new autolaunching of X11 is ...
> strange ... when you used it the other way before).
>
> On my laptop I did an Archive and Install to see if a "clean"
> installation was any different or better. It's different allright,
> but not better! Grrr.
>
> Here if I do an 'ssh -Y <hostname>' and run an X app from one of my
> linux boxes, nothing ever comes up!
>
> Anybody else had this and overcome it?
>

> -md
>
> P.S.
>
> Along the same lines, nice that I can use flat files to enable NFS
> shares so I don't need to use NFS Manager (which is not an option
> since it's not compatible with 10.5), but GEEEZZ! The whole /etc/
> exports format  just HAS to be entirely different!!! Took so #$%
> $#^^& long to get something so simple up .... Is it a BSD-ism or do
> they just want to annoy?

I believe the correct syntax would be something like;

ssh -2  -C -X -l <username> <IP Address>

At least that is how I have been using it on this MacBook for the last
year. And this includes running X11 apps like, Synaptic, Moneydance,
FireFox, & GQView, just to name a few.

Since the upgrade, I've had to drop NFS mounting my debian machine,
and started using Samba. Much more reliable.

---
Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers at anzavalley.net>
ICQ#:         AIM#:            YAHOO:
18002350      mailman452       mailman42_5

         Ben Franklin - 1759