[X-Unix] SSH and GUI apps

Mac Daddy macdaddee at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:04:21 PST 2007

VNC will let you see the whole Linux Desktop in a Timbuktu-kind of
way. Check out the "Remote Desktop" System preference RHEL 5 has under
one of its menus. YOUR PASSWORD IS NOT ENCRYPTED OVER THE CONNECTION
THOUGH! A security risk. Bad! BAD! You can get around that with ssh
port forwarding, which is a little more complicated than I will go
into here. Go a-googling :)

But you can run the apps directly by themselves, which is what I was
doing in my post. Just do an 'ssh -Y <username>@<machine>' from the
Leopard Terminal. Then run the app from the command line. ssh encrypts
your password, and all the data, so the security problem isn't there.

For example, type 'firefox' (or even better, 'firefox &', which will
let you get your cli back. Try both and you'll see), and firefox under
X11, from the RHEL5 box you're logged into, will run, sending its
display to your Mac. If you're a newbie, a good way to really "get"
this concept is to try a file download in this browser and watch as
the Save dialog presents you the file system of the remote machine,
NOT your Mac. It really is running there. You're just getting the
window.

In Linux, the entire "Finder" and the apps are all in X-Windows, so
you can do the same with any app (try typing 'nautilus &'). Not quite
a need for the entirety of the Desktop when you can do this. If you
can launch it from the command line when you're sitting AT the box, X-
Windows will let you launch it from ANY command line on ANY box.

- md