[X-Unix] !@#$@!#$%$% X11 (in Leopard of course)!

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Dec 20 13:16:09 PST 2007

On 17 Dec 2007, at 23:19, Eugene wrote:

> BTW, as of Leopard, Apple switched over to X.org and away
> from XFree86.  There's been a lot of gripes on x11-users.

It should be noted that almost everyone else has switched, too. The
problem occurred a couple of years ago, and probably only just missed
10.4. I would be surprised to hear that XFree86 is still alive or is
under any development at all - a number of XFree86's own major
contributors forked off the codebase and then re-wossisnamed their
own contributions after the license change.

Mind you, I don't know that this is a reason for Apple to switch. X11
is very old & stable, Apple probably need few updates from external
sources and they could probably have forked off quite happily at the
same time. Meanwhile Xorg's development seems to have been quite
vigourous since the split, and I would imagine it's developers
concentrate on Linux and the other fully open-source platforms.

Stroller.