Copying Large Amounts of data via USB/FW (was Re: [X-Unix] Re: Pokey LAN transfers (Resolved))

TjL luomat at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 19:12:02 PST 2007

Since the previous issue is resolved, I wonder if I can fork the
discussion to a somewhat related topic:

I have a large amount of data (GBs and GBs) spread across several
external HDs, some USB2, some Firewire 400.

I am trying to consolidate them and organize them so that similar data
is on the same drives, i.e. TV shows on one, movies on another, short
home movies from our digital camera on another, etc.

These range from a folder with dozens and dozens (if not hundreds) of
smaller files (under 200mb) to folders with a bunch of DVD rips (4-8GB
but a few files).

All of the drives are HFS+ Journaled, attached to a 2.8Ghz iMac
running Leopard either by USB (powered hubs) or daily chained Firewire
drives.

I've pretty much given up on using Finder because it gives such
useless error messages, and am using 'mv -iv' in Terminal.

Is there a better/faster way to do this?

Thanks!

TjL