[X-Unix] Any Command-Line Tools for Secure Delete or File Wipe ???

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Wed May 2 12:17:33 PDT 2007

Alexandre Gauthier wrote on Wednesday, May 2, 2007:
>I thought that secure delete utilities re-writing slack space and
>overwriting the files to oblivion where rendered useless on Journaling
>file systems such as HFS+, ReiserFS and ext3?

I can't speak to ReiserFS or ext3, but HFS+ journaling does not journal data. It only caches transient structural changes to the directory and volume maps.

Besides, no FS can save the data forever. If you delete the file and overwrite all of the free space, where could the data be? The file system can't hide it between the tracks.

--
James Bucanek