[X-Unix] 10.5 cli -what's up with 'more'?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 30 14:37:38 PST 2007

On 30 Nov 2007, at 06:32, David Ledger wrote:
> That's the way some of the Linux distributions are going - at
> least, the HP RedHat one is. It's the thing I most dislike about
> Linux. Lots of people making trivial changes to make it the way
> *they* think it should be. Under HP RedHat, 'ls' sorts the '.'
> files amongst the others. Why?

Are you sure this isn't configured in the distro's
default .bash_profile or .bashrc? (or /etc/profile?)

The GNU versions of the "standard utilities" are different from those
in Posix, System V or the BSDs, but I personally think these changes
are often (much needed) improvements upon the originals and are
generally for the best. IMO Bash & the GNU utilis are what a modern
Unix shouldbe aiming for - it's certainly my expectation in terms of
ease-of-use.

I'd be surprised if Dead Rat - or any other modern distro - is using
any other version of `ls` than the GNU one. I think that - with a bit
of hunting around - it should be possible to pin down how `ls` is
being called and get it to behave the way you expect.

Stroller.