[X-Unix] Time Warp Hits System Logs

Alexandre Gauthier alex at underwares.org
Tue Apr 1 21:33:18 PDT 2008

Le 08-04-02 à 00:26, Jerry Krinock a écrit :

> On 2008 Apr, 01, at 16:37, Richard Hartman wrote:
>
>> How in blazes can the logs go completely silent for so long with no
>> observable operational consequences? Has anyone here seen such
>> behavior? Should I be concerned? I am really, really confounded by
>> this.
>
> If this is Mac OS 10.5, I would add that I too have started
> "imagining" weird things in the new and improved Console for
> Leopard.  Example: I do something which should create a log entry,
> look in Console.app, clear out the "Filter" field and see nothing.
> Reload.  Sometimes that brings up the expected entry.  Other times,
> I wait 2 minutes, reload again, and it appears.

I noticed this as well on my G5, but not on my Mac Book Pro. 10.5 here
too.

>> Note: This is NOT an April Fool's joke (unless somebody at Apple
>> programmed this log silence to mess with terminal noobs).
>
> It's just not repeatable enough to be sure that I'm not imagining it
> just yet.

Not exactly related, but I don't use Console.app nearly enough to
confirm it either.

I use this:
http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/software/MkConsole/

It's basically a console widget on your desktop that, when configured
correctly, blends in with the wallpaper, serving the purpose of a
generic tail -n window. I find it really speeds up my diagnosis
process when trying to find out what's borked.

mkconsole i also available from MacPorts :)