[X-Unix] Re: Leopard Short Name Issue

Richard Hartman seasoft at WEST.NET
Tue Jan 22 17:05:04 PST 2008

=======================
Jon Boone wrote:
On Jan 22, 2008, at 3:22 PM, Richard Hartman wrote:

 >> The issue: The main admin account on this machine (LONG name
 >> "Richard") has become associated in some way with TWO "short names",
 >> "rjh" and "richard".

 >What happens when you try the following:
 >% dscl . -read /Users/rjh

I get LOTS of stuff with the expected info on the "rjh" account

 >% dscl . -read /Users/richard

This produces... zilch:

$ dscl . -read /Users/richard
<dscl_cmd> DS Error: -14136 (eDSRecordNotFound)

Thanks for the effort Jon; but, no joy...
=======================
Scott wrote:
On Jan 22, 2008, at 12:22 PM, Richard Hartman wrote:

 >> I have encountered a bizarre situation that I have been unable to
 >> resolve.
 >>
 >> The machine is an emac running postfix (managed by the Mailserve GUI
 >> front end to Postfix) under Leopard 10.5.1.
 >>
 >> The issue: The main admin account on this machine (LONG name
 >> "Richard") has become associated in some way with TWO "short names",
 >> "rjh" and "richard".

 >In System Prefs ->Accounts
 >right or control-click on Richard. Select "Advanced Options". Is
 >richard listed as an alias of rjh? If so, remove it, then setup
 >richard as another user. Save the mbox first if you need the contents.

I got excited about this; I had forgotten about those "secret"
options. Sadly, though, this shows no aliases for rjh :o(

But, thanks for the suggestion...