[X-Unix] Altering system parameters (e.g. IP addresses) on MacOSXserver

Ken Rossman rossman at columbia.edu
Sun Mar 9 13:58:02 PDT 2008

Eric,

> Ken, if you can give me a few hours, I'll get you the complete answer.

Thanks...  that would be useful.  Awhile back, I took a class in Mac
OS X server
admin, and still have the books.  Just not sure right now where those
are, but
I would think the answer is in there.  I remember issuing a whole lot of
(Apple-ish) long and mixed-case command line incantations to do
various things
with various system tables and such.  Just don't recall any particulars.

Glad to see things on Mac OS X moving a good bit more in the
direction of being
"Linux-ish" or generally "Unix-ish" in any case...

> You lost your connection because the server IP changed. Connect
> with the new
> IP and you should be fine.

Ah, but that was exactly what I did, and it did not work.  I had my
PowerBook
direct-ether-connected point-to-point to the server, and was able to
ssh in
using the old address range.  issued the ifconfig command (adding in
specific
broadcast and netmask fields as well as the IP address change), then
changed
the PowerBook interface address to be in the same subnet range as
what I just
changed the server to, but no luck.

I know I must have just done something stupid, but I'm not spotting it.

> I'll get you the permanent fix when I'm at a terminal and not my
> blackberry. :)

OK, I'll take you up on that!  :-)

Thanks,