[X-Unix] How to REALLY kill Finder.

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri May 23 12:49:39 PDT 2008

Hi there,

I posted this question to http://discussions.apple.com before
realising that you guys will probably have some better answers. So
please excuse me in the (unlikely) event you read this twice.

Last night I was converting a bunch of video files in Quicktime and
copying them to a samba server on the LAN (so I could play them on my
Linux-based media machine) when the Finder stopped responding and I
got the spinning beachball of death.

The beachball appeared when I clicked on one of the files in Finder
and it tried to generate a preview in column-view. The media files
were fairly big ones (1 gig) and .mkv format (which seem particularly
processor-intensive to decode) and I'm pretty sure the file in
question was on the Samba server.

So all in all everything seemed to be against the Finder creating
this preview and I figured it was going to take a long time to do so,
so I'd just force-relaunch the Finder and go back and open the folder
in a different view in order to copy it wherever it needed to be.

After doing so, though, Finder fails to restart - I've got no icons
on my desktop and I can't navigate to a folder of files to click on
the one I want to view.

Often in the past when I've experienced this, typing `open /path/to/
folder` in terminal has had the effect of forcing Finder to restart,
however on this occasion I get this error message:
"2008-05-23 18:11:07.383 open7567 LSOpenFromURLSpec() returned -600
for application (null) urls file://localhost/Applications/."

If I look for the process using `ps` I see the process name in brackets:
   $ ps -wwwwwx | grep Finder
   5958 ?? E 0:00.00 (Finder)
   $
I presume the brackets indicate that Finder is behaving badly, but
`man ps` doesn't seem to explain exactly what they mean. Apparently
the "E" in the above line indicates that the process is trying to exit.

Anyway, I can't get any further using `kill -9 5958` or anything else
I've tried so far.

The Finder icon is still showing in the Dock and if I right-click on
it I see "Application not responding" (greyed out), "Hide" and
"Relaunch". Choosing "Relaunch" has no effect. Finder does not seem
to appear in Activity Monitor (showing "All Processes") . If I open
the "Force Quit Applications" dialogue again the Finder is still
shown and highlighting it changes the button from "Force Quit" to
"Relaunch", but clicking that has no effect (except that Finder
disappears from the lit of programs; it reappears if I close the
"Force Quit" window and reopen it from the Apple menu).

Obviously I could sort this by rebooting my computer, but I really
don't want to do that right now. Can anyone suggest a way of properly
killing this process so that Finder can restart? (a way that doesn't
kill off all my active windows, that is!)

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Stroller.