[X-Unix] Was Folder, Became Application

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Tue May 27 11:30:04 PDT 2008

Stroller-

Thank you. I think I misstated the problem. I can change the
"application" back to a file, just by removing the extension.
But I can't open it. IOW, I can't restore the hierarchical folder
structure.

For example, I copied the large file as you suggested, and
got another equally sized file. But when I tried to cd to the
new file, I got "Not a directory." That's what my problem is.

And, of course, when I try to open the large file, Finder asks
me to choose an application. As I said in my first posting, I
can open the file in an editor (I used ed) and see the 30+
megabytes, but I don't know how to make sense of it.

I'm assuming the original folder structure is intact, but some
header data has been changed. The size of the large file is about
the same as my original iTunes Library was. (I didn't track
the exact size.)

I just was hoping there was some header data I could remove that
would make the original folder structure reappear. Way back
when OS X disposed of the resource forks, maybe there was
something inserted in the header of an application file
to replace it.

Wishful thinking?

Jon