[X-Unix] General Scripting Question

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Tue Apr 14 05:11:37 PDT 2009

On Apr 13, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Russell McGaha wrote:

> Eric;
> 	I am a little sleep deprived today; but I wasn't meaning to imply I
> wanted someone to write it for me, I actually LIKE learning things
> like this.
> 	I fairly certain I could manage the last two parts, sending the
> email, and moving the files.  I'm at a loss on how to start checking
> the free space on a volume though.  Could you give me a nudge toward
> what command(s), might give me this type of info?
>
> 	Also; you've given me a hand before.  I, THINK, I thanked you for
> your help; if I didn't let me say that I did appreciate it greatly!

You absolutely did.  Brian, it seems, did most of the leg work for you
using perl, though there are shell alternatives to what he's done in
perl.  Kevin gave you the disk-space checking commands, du and df.
You can go the perl route, a language I recommend anyone to learn, but
I think it's grossly over-powered for your simple task. grep, cut,
awk, df, du, and test are all you really need.  These utilities are
pretty universal.

---
Eric Crist