[X-Unix] Setting disk quotas

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sat Jan 3 19:36:50 PST 2009

On Jan 3, 2009, at 5:18 PM, Charles Howse wrote:

> HI,
> I need to set a disk quota for my daughter.
> I've read man edquota and quotaon/off
> When I su to root and enter: edquota -u randi
> nothing happens.  I was expecting vi to open a temp file and let me
> edit the soft limit.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I have a few questions for you.

1) have you enabled quotas for the root file system?
2) do the mount option files (as mentioned in man quotaon) exist? (you
may need to create)
3) Is this method of quotas actually supported on OS X with HFS+?

The third question is important, as there have been other FreeBSD
utilities that have made it into OS X that aren't supported by a
vanilla install.  There may be another method of setting up quotas on
OS X.  I'll try to look into this myself a bit and get back to you,
probably tomorrow.

---
Eric Crist