[X-Unix] [ANN] unmac

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Wed Jan 7 08:44:28 PST 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 10:27 AM, Stroller wrote:

> I had a crack at this a while back, and ended up when I realised how
> poor my solution was.
>
> IMO you really need to use `file` to check that the files really ARE
> Mac rubbish.

[snip]

> Although I would love someone else to address this problem, I too
> would be a little reluctant to use a solution that depended upon
> Ruby, just because I don't know anything about the language. I just
> really like Bash for this sort of thing, just because it's everywhere.

Bash isn't everywhere, which is why I recommend sh.  Bash is in many
places, and available almost everywhere, so it's becoming a popular
scripting tool.

If there is some actual interest in this, I'm willing to code an sh
script to perform this function.  As I mentioned in my earlier post,
it's really just an elaborate find command (you can run file via find
with -exec).  Heck, even perl would be a viable alternative, as it
comes standard on Macs, *BSD, many Linux distributions, and is more
available for Windows than sh is.

---
Eric Crist